"In the still chill of a winter night
seeds on the gardener's bench
rattle their packets
'When I grow up,
I'm going to be…'"
In this beautifully illustrated, slim volume of poetry, Juanita Havill takes us through a year of gardening - from the seeds sitting on the shelf, to the early spring pea pods chanting, to Alice Zucchini and some of the other vegetables gossiping in the garden, and finally to the snow covered garden.
This would be a wonderful book to use as a read aloud while studying seeds and plants. This collection would also serve as great examples to inspire young poetry writers.
- Read the reviews on Goodreads
- Scholastic Poetry Idea Engine - fun look at different types of poetry, interactive whiteboard option
- PBS Kids - Arthur. Fern's Poetry Club - ideas for writing poetry
- Freepik - Search engine for free online photos that you can use to illustrate your poetry!
- Pics4Learning - Another source of free images (including many vegetables!) that you can use for your poetry
- TRY GROWING SOME SEEDS